September 22, 2006
Fourteen teenagers took a weeklong bus adventure as part of the Simon Family Jewish Community Center’s Operation Understanding Hampton Roads. The group visited Atlanta, Birmingham, Selma and Montgomery, and such diverse sites as the Voting Rights Museum, The William Bremen Jewish Heritage Museum and attractions that included the Southern Poverty Law Center and the Alabama Jazz Hall of Fame.
September 20, 1996
Ohef Sholom Temple held a special tribute to honor Rabbi Lawrence Forman on his 25th anniversary with the temple. Dr. Ronald B. Sobel, senior rabbi of Congregation Emanu-El in New York City, delivered the sermon at the service.
September 19, 1986
The Women’s Division Campaign ’87 planned to honor contributors of $1,800 at the first Annual Chai Society luncheon.
September 1, 1966
Cantor Richard N. Smith assumed the cantorial duties at Temple Israel.
September 1, 1956
Following tours at the new Kempsville Recreation Area site, some 60 men, under the chairmanship of Dr. Harold Epstein and David Nesson, were securing pledges from members of the Norfolk community, which they expected to total $150,000 to make possible the opening of the 110-acre Kempsville Recreation Area the following summer.